• 3
  • 3

2 What we offer

 >  Old English   2 What we offer

History: the Monduits

From 1870 to 2008 La Mouchère remained in the Monduit family for 9 generations, always passing down on the female side.

The Monduits were metal founders in Paris and developed La Mouchère extensively in the 1870s. Gabrielle Monduit-Pasquier, whose long life covered almost all of the 20th century, was an organist and a friend of the celebrated pianist, Marguerite Long. After the Second World War, she was responsible for organising the international piano competition which bore the pianist’s name.
Marguerite Long

The Monduit Workshops (1770-1970)
The Monduits carried out commissions for well-known architects and sculptors, such as Viollet-le-Duc, Garnier, Bartholdi, Eiffel, Frémier and Récipon, in particular under the Third Republic. At La Mouchère the cockerel on top of the dovecot was designed by Viollet-le-Duc, and a replica was given to the church of St Cyr by Gabrielle Monduit-Pasquier.

Principal Commissions of the Monduit Workshops

  • Notre-Dame-de-Paris : the spire (restoration)
  • Opéra de Paris : the great lantern in the dome
  • Amiens Cathedral : the spire (restoration)
  • The fountain in the Place Saint-Michel, Paris
  • The Statue of Liberty, New York
  • The Lion de Belfort, Paris
  • Mont-Saint-Michel : the Archangel St Michael
  • Château de Pierrefonds : the roofs
  • Mexico City : the Phoenix of the Federal Palace
  • Sainte Bénigne de Dijon : the spire and statuary
  • Paris: the Charioteers of the Grand Palais, for the Universal Exposition of 1900

Diaporama

the Hand in the Monduit Workshops The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbour The Lion de Belfort, in Paris

Rooms

All our bedrooms and suites have their own bathroom or shower room and toilet, fireplaces, views of the grounds and Wifi.

We have three bedrooms (Pasquier, Forsyte, Guermantes) and two suites (Thibault and Bloomsbury). Our prices vary according to length of stay, season and the number of rooms booked; for more details see ‘Contact’ page.

The Pasquier Room

Suite Pasquier

  • The largest of the rooms,
  • overlooking the horsepond and the terrace.
  • With its ‘Matisse’ curtains and art deco and limed oak furniture it evokes the 1930s.
  • Available with two single beds or, if we are given sufficient notice, with a superking.
  • Art deco bathroom (180cm bath takes two face to face) overlooking grounds and valley.
  • Between 90€ and 140€ per night including breakfast for two.

The Forsyte Room

Forsyte suite

  • Red Toile de Jouy wall fabric with plant motif, 18th century fruitwood wardrobe, other furniture from the 19th century and art déco period. Internal shutters.
  • Overlooks grounds and valley.
  • One 140cm double bed (and a 90cm single).
  • Bathroom (140cm shower) overlooking grounds.
  • Between 90€ and 140€ per night including breakfast for two.

The Guermantes Room

  • Trianon style curtains give an 18th century atmosphere.
  • Internal shutters.
  • Overlooks grounds and valley.
  • Available with two single beds (2 x 90cm) or, if we are given sufficient notice, with a superking (180cm).
  • Bathroom (140cm shower).
  • Between 85€ and 130€ per night including breakfast for two.

The Thibault Suite (2nd floor)

Thibault suite

  • Landing.
  • Bathroom overlooking grounds.
  • Antoine’s Room
    • Available with two single beds (2 x 90cm) or, if we are given sufficient notice, with a superking (180cm).
    • ‘Soleiado’ fabric (blue and yellow), Art Deco furniture.
    • View of grounds, horsepond and Prieuré de Ste Gauburge.
  • Jacques’s Room
    • Available with two single beds (2 x 90cm) or, if we are given sufficient notice, with a superking (180cm).
    • ‘Soleiado’ fabric (green and pink), Art Deco furniture.
    • View of grounds and the old manor.
  • For the suite (4 persons): between 140€ and 180€ per night including breakfast.

The Bloomsbury Suite (2nd floor)

Bloomsbury suite

  • Private landing.
  • Bathroom overlooking grounds
  • Virginia’s Room
    • Available with two single beds (2 x 80cm) or, if we are given sufficient notice, with a kingsize double (160cm).
    • Harvey Nichols furniture from the 1930s.
    • Overlooking grounds.
  • Vanessa’s Room
    • Double bed (140cm).
    • English Art Deco furniture, antilope motif.
    • Overlooking grounds.
  • For the suite (4 persons): between 140€ and 180€ per night including breakfast.

the Château

In the Perche, a "château" is a country house which is not built in the Percheron style, unlike a "manoir", which is essentially a fortified and embellished farm.

From ‘manoir’ to château

Old wells and an extensive stone courtyard indicate that the site has been settled for centuries. In the Middle Ages, the land was probably cultivated by monks from the nearby Priory of Sainte Gauburge, a type of social structure reflected in the name Mouchère (related, like other place names – Mouchetière, Moustiers, Moûtiers – to the latin Monasterium). Earliest written records of La Mouchère date from the 13th century. The old ‘manoir’, which is now the Ferme de la Mouchère, was the main dwelling until the end of the 18th century.

In the years following the French Revolution, the new owners replaced the ‘manoir’ (henceforth confined to its agricultural function) with a new château, overlooking the village of St-Cyr, and built onto a much older building (to-day our kitchen). One can still see the steps leading down to the underground passage which linked it to the old ‘manoir’.

Agricultural Outbuildings

Until quite recently the Château was practically self-sufficient. The buildings which enclose the courtyard and its oval horsepond include stables, hencoops, rabbit hutches, a sheepfold, a dovecot, a dairy and a bread oven. To the south, behind the pigsties, there is a large kitchen garden, organised into sections by box hedges; to the west, terraced orchards contain old espaliers and cordons and an attractive fruit store.

Diaporama

Library Floor tiles La Mouchère from the village South Front Courtyard in summer Fruitstore and valley

the Grounds

A park in the English style was created in the early 19th century and, after 1870, La Mouchère was equipped with an exceptional system of water management.

The park was designed to enhance the views over the valley and provide a setting for the conifers sought after in that period (cedars, pines and firs). . Beyond the lawns, meadows with more fruit trees slope down to the river. Above the entrance drive, a wood extends as far as the north gate with its keeper’s cottage, l’Arpent.

After the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71), the Monduit family acquired La Mouchère and undertook an ambitious programme of hydraulic works. The river was rerouted to provide a new reach above the mill, together with a reservoir and a waterfall; in the valley the lavoir was supplied with running water, and a hydraulic-ram pumped water up the hill to the house and its water tower. Rainwater was carefully managed and the grounds irrigated by a network of buried pipes. A coal-boiler in the kitchen garden heated pipes passing through the greenhouse. The whole system was extremely energy-efficient, using gravity and the techniques of the Industrial Revolution to good effect.

Diaporama

Statue of Pomona Waterfall in the snow Watertower Pomona and roses Terraced orchards and fruistore Service tree in autumn Trees in the mist Evening light